Thursday, April 1, 2010

No one will ever believe you....

This post covers my initial impressions, and rants, about creating Gorkamorka (GM) gangs and some of the strategies involved. I reserve the right to take back anything I say if it turns out that I am completely wrong.

Choppas are pretty boring.
Yeah it's true everyone has them and I can't really blame them. Initially you really feel like you need the strength bonus to be able to wound anybody. Plus the minus to armour save is great and they are really cheap too. I just really feel like the game would be a little more exciting if somebody used a spear or something. You can only wound on a 2+ so eventually it may end up not being a big deal. I am hoping the increase in odd mobs will be an encouragement to try different things like chains, or prove that blocking is worth it and maybe have mobs incorporate shields.

Maybe Morkers are cool too?
I am pretty sure that Eric is a Morker, but the other two gangs are Gorkers in my gaming group. It seems to me that many of the skill tables are largely ignored and re-reading them would probably be a good thing, as I am sure there are some good skills to learn and try out. Besides you don't need 4 guys in your mob to have chuck.

Shooting is fun.
I am a Warrhammer 40,000 player and I am quite used to not shooting, but it seems to have a lot of potential in GM. The lads can get a great ballistic skill and become skilled sharpshooters. Also, when you do well you feel like a kid with an ice cream cone. In some ways I would like to make a new list that focused on shootin' the place up, you know, just for fun.

Money is hard to get, harder to keep.
The income table is a twisted evil experiment that the game developers created. No matter how you shake it you'll only end up with about 7-11 teef. So every little bit counts, but at this point I haven't found the best ork economic system yet.

The More Trukks the Merrier.
Getting multiple trukks lets you have the freedom of doing more things and can pay off in dividends with winning scenarios, I am looking at you Convoy. If I were to do it all over, I think I would forgo the early big shoota and try to get another trukk or trakk to give my mob some more flexibility.

Well those are my initial thoughts feel free to pick them apart.

3 comments:

  1. This is the time that you throw away all your choppas. Embrace change! Take out those shootas you bought in the beginning and did not use. It seems 7-11 teef is superior to the none the Grots makes. Although with some good lying (and I guess just good rolling in general), maybe things could be different...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there should be tactical nukes in GM...the board gets cleared, the music gets turned up, and everyone grabs a cold one. I keep remembering Greg's truck blowing up when it attempted a ramming maneuver...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gubbinz can be a lot of fun. Both my Gorker mob and my Morker mob have invested in them and they're a lot of fun.

    Many's the time that I've torn the wheels off a trukk with it.

    ReplyDelete